Thursday, December 01, 2005

Coming & going


Last wednesday was wicked. A bunch of us got together, and put all the spare ££'s we could together for Mike. We had pizza at Petal, Monkey, Keenan & Lara's house for him, and Ryan, Kel, Somayya & Tatiano came around. I don't have the photo's yet, Somayya has not downloaded them yet!! It was really great to all be together and just have a laugh and chill with Mikey!!

On the weekend Somayya, Johan, Mike & I were meant to go meet Danie close to Bath, where he lives, but Mikey was in too much pain to travel and so we all went to his parents house in Iver (near Slough), and watched rugby. Wales beat Australia...woohoo! We went to the pub for the France vs South Africa game, where SA got a bit of a whipping & even sexy Schalky could not save the day.

Mike now has a small deposit of cancer in his groin too. He goes back to SA tomorrow for an operation. The drs are going to remove a part of the tumour in his spine, just for pain relief and so that he gets feeling back in his right leg. He so wants to surf Indonesia still, but they are puttings pins in his spine, which is obviously going to limit that kind of thing. After that he will possibly have radiation on the growths in his chest and groin, and possibly some more chemo, and then if all goes according to plan he will be back in London by the end of February to give clinical trials a bash. There is no guarantee, but it helps maybe 5% of patients...maybe he'll be within that 5%. Got to keep some hope.

I went to visit him on tuesday night when he was in hospital for a few hours cos of pain (he was commenting loudly on the hot nurses, in his morphined up state...he he)and i went to his parents last night, the pain seems to be more controlled now(not surprising with 40mg of morphine every few hours), man, it is just so good to spend time with him, I am treasuring every second. We have stayed close, but it is amazing to not be on different continents, we have really reconnected and I will miss him terribly when he goes back home tomorrow. I have a flight back to SA which expires in March, I may use it in January for a month or so. I don't think London is the healthiest place for me right now. I am not in the happiest emotional/mental space either. I just feel so damn helpless. Besides, beach, friends & sunshine are an almost irrestible temptation! I think i just need to spend as much time with him as possible. Gosh, this feels like the hardest thing i've ever had to do. How do you ever prepare yourself for something like this?? He gave me a bit of insight into the things going through his mind at the mo, and I can't even begin to imagine what he is thinking and feeling.

Anyways, I am off to the airport tomorrow, I'm sure there will be some tears but I just have to stay semi-strong, at least til he goes through the gates!! I'm scared to let him go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home