Sunday, June 03, 2007

the fairy posts...

15/04/2007

I’ve been trying to get enough time online to blog, post some pictures, catch up with emails and do all the other stuff I want to do…here is the latest blog update…

WWOOFing is fantastic! We are absolutely loving the outdoors and are learning so much every day and feel very lucky to be here! Everyday I think back to when we started on the farm 3 months ago and how I struggled to push the wheelbarrow up the lane or poo pick or how I was clueless as to the difference between compost and manure, as well as hay and straw. I made animals nervous, I didn’t know how to handle plants or even weed the polytunnel!! Now I’m still pretty clueless but I almost know which plants like what food, when we sow what and when we harvest, I love poo, I drive a tractor, I know the very basics on how to train alpacas and horses, inject sheep, cut animals toenails, milk goats, build fences and I sometimes even welcome the rain!!! And I’m feeling strong and healthy from lots of fresh (mostly veggie) food and of course all the fresh air, exercise, sunshine and love!

The farm is just sustainable, so no produce is sold (except the eggs when we get swamped), but we have plenty to eat fresh and freeze for the winter. We have chickens for eggs, goats which we milk, alpaca’s, sheep and horses for pets (and for their poo). The couple (Andrew & Julie) who own the farm are Zen Buddhists and don’t eat meat, which means we haven’t been eating meat which actually hasn’t been as difficult as I thought it may be. Andrew is a fantastic cook and makes the most scrumptious veggie lunches. Andrew and Julie are lay ministers, which means they can teach meditation, so I’ve been joining Andrew on his weekly meditation groups and I sometimes meditate during the week with Julie. It’s pretty difficult, but I’m determined to keep it up…

We have a fruit cage, 2 polytunnels, a greenhouse, a few propagators and about 5 outdoor veggie beds. At the moment our tomato’s are reaching for the stars and we’ve got to get the canes in and tie them up asap! Our salad has all gone absolutely mad, and is taking over the polytunnel, think we may have to pull some out and see what the animals think of it!

We have rare Wet Woodlands on the farm which is the breeding ground of invertebrates and lots of beautiful birds and froggies. There is also Lowland Heath which has loads of different and special heathers…I haven’t seen them in bloom yet.

We’re both still doing our care jobs, I have one client who is 25 and I do a 24 hour shift and a 20 hour shift with her every week…so it’s quite a busy life but very good!! Steven cares for 2 little boys, one has special needs, and he works weekday afternoons mainly.

Andrew and Julie have been great, as we should really be working 5 days a week on the farm (which we kind of are, and often put in long days to make up hours). They even insist that we take one day off together so we don’t burn ourselves out. They have left us to farmsit for the next 5 days. It’s a comfort to know they must trust us even though they must pull their hair out over our ignorance regularly!

So life here in stunningly picturesque (but not yet warm enough!!) Cornwall is pretty amazing. Steven and I are very happy, and it is amazing to share these experiences with him! Steven has yet to behold Table Mountain, swim in warm oceans and sniff African soil. We're hoping to visit in Feb next year...hold thumbs!!

I called my mom a few weeks ago and she sounds very well. We chatted for about an hour and I discovered I have another nephew and niece, a bit sad that I may never meet them. I put off calling her for ages and then it was such a relief when I finally plucked up the courage to pick up the phone and it’s always so lovely to speak to her once I realise she’s not going to hang up on me! I find the Brethren very confusing as they seem to be doing things now that are very contradictory to what they used to believe 10 years ago. It would be kind of nice to know how and why the changes come about (and what exactly they are…am I even supposed to call Mom? Is she allowed to call me?), but I am too fearful to ask for fear of causing any arguments or bad feelings between Mom and I, specially since I’m aware that she’s only doing what she thinks is right…and who am I to challenge that?

To check out photo's of:
Feb 2007 click here and here
March 2007 click here and here
April 2007 click here and here and here and here
May 2007 click here and here
(press 'view as slideshow' for best viewing)

lots of fairy love xxx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home