Monday, March 20, 2006

GO South Africa!



I just wanted to have a quick brag at how well South Africa's doing in the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne. Check it out .. http://www.southafrica.info/what_happening/sports/cg-210306.htm

Speaking about the Commonwealth Games...I got a rather strange but interesting email from a distant Sobey relative who I have never heard of before.. it went like this

"Dear Sharon,

Congratulations on carrying the flag at the Commonwealth Games. We just heard about you from a friend who saw you on TV in Cornwall, UK and knows we have spent years researching Sobeys. Our data base has 4500+ Sobey names from around the world and many in Oz but does not contain your name. We found on the Internet your father is Robert but we have three Roberts from Oz and do not know which is yours. We have Robert & Margaret, Robert & Janice, Robert & Sue and Robert & Lilian. We also saw where you were born in South Africa where there are still some Sobeys we communicate with."

I have replied and let her know who I am (and that I'm not Australian Sharon Sobey who was carrying the flag..hmm, was she also born in SA?) and got a rather interesting reply today. Not that any of you should care less, but hey, i'll share it anyway...Dave will know how this news would excite me since he sat by my side for many hours while i tediously googled "Sobey" only to trace it to a dead end.

"ALL Sobeys originated in Cornwall. We can connect your family back to Nicholas Sobye (original spelling) born about 1380 in St. Kew Parish, Cornwall.Your last Cornish ancestor was your great-grandfather Albert Sobey born Aug. 8, 1868 in Prince's Well Cottage, St. Winnow Parish, Cornwall. Coincidentally, that's where Jeannine's Cornish ancestor came from. Our main SA contact has been Russell Sobey of Durbin. He did not know there were other Sobeys in SA until one family had a child at his daughter's graduation. After you digest this information please send any Sobey data you may have.

I am forwarding your e-mail and copying this one to Lousie Cartwright (Sobee, yes, the correct spelling) who live sjust outsdide of London in Amersham. Lousie is a diligent Sobey researcher even though she says everyone else spells their name wrong."

So!! So much for me fantasising that I came from Ireland, Poland and Scotland...hmmm, but Cornwall is delicious enough a place for me to have my roots, in fact it all makes sense. It's basically fairyland, and I felt weirdly at home & totally happy when I went there for a few days with Dave last year! Just one generation away from an Ancestral Visa...dammit! What a pity!

I'm guessing you're holding your breath now, hoping that I'm gonna spice up my blog with at least a photo of another scandalous weekend...actually it was pretty chilled for a change. Even on St Paddy's we were home by 12 or something. A whole bunch of us who met in the States met at 1001 on Friday eve: Janine, Somayya, Jodene, Shelly, Kitty and I...very cool reunion. And Bryony was there too, it's always an added bonus & loadsa fun to have my fairy sister join!!











Kitty, Shells, Jojo Me, Somayya, Jojo

On Saturday I met up with Mike's parents at the Science Museum for a smoothie and chat. It was actually really really nice to see them, if a bit emotional. They are very special to me!


On Saturday I had a good catch up with Bozo, who insists on mocking me so much when i smoke rollies (or cigarettes) that I almost feel like giving up. We played pool and he proved that he is not good at ALL sports...although he still kicked my ass(by one ball), but then I am pretty much the worlds suckiest pool player. (Tom, I seem to have forgotten your wonderful lesson you gave me in PE)

On Sunday I went to visit Bryce in Ashford. OMG it's so peaceful out there in the country, it was great to get out of the beautiful chaos of London, if only for a day. And of course radical to spend time with Bryce as always. Had a fantastic lunch at a spanish restaurant called 'Que Pasa?' which means 'Whats happnening?' HAH!! SEE, i AM learning spanish!!

Ok, but gotto finish stuff now and go look at a room near London Bridge for me and Jodene. Can't imagine living apart from her now, it's almost like having a boyfriend, but with a higher understanding (sorry boys, you know PMS and all that), lots of cuddles, respect and love, but no sex.

fairy love xoxoxo

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home